11.02.2013

Sweet Testing: Lime Tarragon Cookies



I would like to start this post by stating that I hate licorice. I don't just hate it. I loathe it. If I were forced to eat  licorice by some evil, licorice loving bad guys, I'd probably make a multitude of face distortions while chewing and then, overcome with nausea, end up spitting it out, which would surely get me in trouble with the evil, licorice loving bad guys! That said, I do, for some strange reason, LOVE tarragon. That's right, I enjoy eating an herb that is often described as having a licoricelike flavor. Don't ask me to explain. I can't. All I know is that I love tarragon and I loved these cookies! They have a nice buttery flavor, which is very reminiscent of shortbread. The tarragon is subtle and the lime is refreshingly different. You know that I'm all about atypical recipes and experimenting with a savory spin on a dessert is always super fun!

One small note: These cookies are supposed to be much smaller and thicker. Mine spread out. This may have been because I used gluten-free flour or maybe because I didn't chill the dough for long enough. (Sometimes, I get impatient during the chilling and just charge ahead!) They were still delicious, but don't be alarmed if they look different than mine! ~Erin

You can find the complete recipe after the jump.


LIME TARRAGON COOKIES from Baked Elements

For the Lime Tarragon Cookies

8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
⅔ cup confectioners’ sugar
⅓ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon (add another teaspoon if you like tarragon)
1 tablespoon lime zest (about 1 lime)
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
2 cups all-purpose flour


Make the Lime Tarragon Cookies

In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugars together until smooth and creamy. Add the salt, tarragon, lime zest, and lime juice and beat on high speed for 30 to 45 seconds, until the zest appears to separate and speckles the dough. Add the flour all at once and beat on low speed until incorporated. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and beat again for 10 seconds. Scrape down the bowl again and use a spatula to mound the dough in the center of the bowl. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Using a small ice cream scoop with a release mechanism, scoop out the dough and roll it into 2 tablespoon–size balls. Place the dough balls about 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. (If you are not using an ice cream scoop, you will need to use a tablespoon measure and your hands to shape or roll the dough into balls.) Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, until the edges of the cookies are golden brown and just start to darken.

Remove the baking sheets from the oven and place on wire racks to cool for 10 minutes. Use a spatula to transfer the cookies to the racks to cool completely.

The cookies can be stored at room temperature, in an airtight container, for up to 3 days.

1 comments:

Carolyn Jung said...

I am loving the addition of tarragon in this. I think so many herbs work so beautifully in desserts. One of my fave creations is lemon bars with fresh thyme.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...